Friday, July 24, 2009

Butterflies

Last night, Erich and I went to a concert held at our church. It was a group of four young men singing a capella. I wasn't sure what styles to expect; I thought maybe they'd sing some hymns in Barbershop harmony. I was delighted, though, that the program included mostly 16th century polyphony. I'm a total geek about old music like that.

I quickly found I could enjoy the music better with my eyes closed. Watching them was rather distracting, since people make weird faces when they sing and there were only four of them with no conductor. No, it was better to close my eyes, my tummy happily full of Chinese food, and let the sound wash over me.

During one particularly peaceful number, I opened my eyes with a start. I was only aware of something because if that something really WAS something, it had just stopped. Could it be? I set to work on feeling as much as I could feel. Closing my eyes, I focused on my torso. Soon enough, I felt it again: little butterflies, like that feeling you get in your stomach, only this was far, far too low to be in my stomach.

Maybe it's my dinner? When I focused enough, I could feel a few digestive processes. This was not digestion. The butterflies continued a few more minutes, gently tickling my insides, below my navel and at least a few inches back. I grabbed a piece of paper and a pen. "I may be crazy," I wrote to Erich, "but I think Wrigley likes this music!" Erich raised his eyebrows and made a "kicking" gesture with two fingers. "Butterflies!" I wrote. That's the best way I can think to describe it.

I wouldn't have posted this today for fear of being thought an overly-imaginative, crazy-type person, but I'm more and more convinced that I felt our little baby moving around. I have several reasons for this thinking:

  1. I can be pretty attuned to my uterus when I concentrate. I remain convinced that I felt implantation in my last two pregnancies.
  2. 15 weeks is early for a first-time mom to feel movement, but not too early to feel anything at all. For example, I never fancied at 10 or 11 weeks that I felt something. That makes me think I might not be crazy this time.
  3. I have heard movement described in several ways, including little taps, little bubbles popping, a fish swimming, and of course, butterflies. I wasn't looking for any particular sensation, but I did notice it when in a state of relaxation, relative sensory deprivation, and at a time when my mind wasn't abuzz with random thoughts. Basically, it was as distraction-free as I can imagine!
  4. I told my mom about this and she's convinced I felt the baby. She felt me move while on jury duty at about 15 weeks (granted, I'm her third child, but that goes to show that 15 weeks isn't too early to feel movement!) and feels it's all come full-circle.
There you have it. I may be crazy. Or this could be the beginning of the really fun part of pregnancy. :)

By the way, I'm aware that it's quite unlikely that Wrigley could actually hear and enjoy the music. Soon enough, though.

4 comments:

Our Family said...

Wrigley...I love it! I think absolutely you felt it...how exciting! We're so happy for you guys! Are you going to find out if it's a boy or a girl?

Rebekah said...

Susan, too weird--I felt Quintus for the first time Thursday night. :)

Dawn said...

:D That's how it always starts for me, too: whispers of movement I notice best after they've stopped. Soon and very soon, those whispers will turn into clanging hammers. :)

jessica @pianomomsicle said...

i felt David's first little kicks at 16 weeks. Cadence..well i'm terrible and can not remember, i think she was a little later, but she made up for it by being the kickiest baby in the universe. She will either be a dancer or a kick boxer!

i'm so sorry i haven't kept up with your blog! i am a bad friend.

i couldn't be happier for you! Yay! Enjoy feeling those little Wrigley kicks!