Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Septum Resection

My life is filled with hope again.

Yesterday morning, Erich and I arose around 7am after I had bad dreams that I was eating and drinking in the morning when I was not supposed to. I was glad to wake up and realize that I did not disobey the rules for anesthesia. :) We arrived at the Center for Surgery around 8:20--10 minutes early. I got called back about 20 minutes later, gave a urine specimen (giggle), changed into the oh-so-flattering hospital gown and got an IV. The nurses at this surgery center are very skilled. I could barely feel the IV in my hand! I appreciated that. I also had my blood pressure checked a few times, and the cuff totally squeezed too hard the first time, and I have streaks of broken capillaries on my upper arm. Yay, battle wounds!

Erich got to sit with me for the last 30 minutes while I waited to go in for my 9:30 procedure. The nurses were more anxious for Dr. M to arrive than I was. They seemed a little uptight, but I'll take that over careless any day. Then again, he did kinda swoop in at the last minute. He explained the procedure again and told me what to expect afterwards then went to get ready. I was walked to the OR and got on the table. Soon after the anesthesiologist told me she was putting the sleepy-time drug in my IV, my arm felt that familiar tingly discomfort, and that's the last thing I remember.

Before I was aware of anything, Dr. M went out to show Erich pictures of the procedure and described how everything went. (I scanned these pictures already, but I'm going to tease you, Scheherezade-style, and post them later. ;) Shortly after I came to, a nurse brought Erich to the recovery room. Remembering that first half-hour or so is like remembering a dream. Last night, I kept saying things to Erich like, "I had a tube in my nose!" and "You fed me ice chips!" [ETA: "I ate crackers!"] I thought I was awake, but MAN was I drugged.

During the procedure, saline was pumped into my uterus to keep it inflated (for lack of a better word) to give Dr. M room to work. My body absorbed that saline, and a catheter drained it out through my urinary tract. The nurses would not release me until I had passed enough fluid. So while we were waiting, my recovery nurse went on lunch, and I got another one, who was very concerned about sending me home with written recovery instructions. She went out to go find Dr. M and I heard her say to him, "Susan K---- has a few questions for you." And I was like, "huh?" So when he came in and looked at me expectantly, I explained that the nurses just wanted him to give me instructions again. He nodded and said, "My instructions are to go home." Heh heh. But he reminded me of what he had said earlier while the nurse wrote it down on my discharge sheet. Basically, I can't take a bath for a few days. Whatever.

We got home a little before 1pm. I pretty much relaxed on our La-Z-Boy loveseat, watching Pride & Prejudice (BBC version) and the Cubs (who LOST, boooo) while Erich tried to remember that I was recovering and not just being lazy. Kidding; he did a great job. There was moderate bleeding, but I'm pleased to report that there is now next to none! Last night, I stepped on the scale (I weigh myself far too often) and was horrified to see that I gained six pounds in a day. Then Erich reminded me, "Baby, you drank saltwater through your uterus!" Oh yeah. That's why my eyes are half-closed from puffiness. :)

Today I'm less puffy, but I've had more pain as the anesthesia has entirely worn off, and I'm afraid I may have overdone it a bit when Erich and I went out to run a few errands. But I have some Darvocet which they had already called in for me (and which I definitely WON'T be taking more than I need to--I hate that drugged feeling), and after relaxing for the rest of the afternoon, I'm feeling generally pretty good.

So I believe we can now consider my womb improved. I started reading Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy again today. I want to get a good start for our next baby! :)

4 comments:

Hannah said...

Glad to hear that it went well. We (i.e. Mom and I) were praying for you.

During my bunionectomy, I remember hearing the saw, much like a large electric toothbrush. Next thing, I'm being asked what kind of juice I want. It was kind of weird later that evening to have two of my toes still asleep while having pain in the joint. But I digress. :S

Drinking saltwater? Mmm, very tasty!

Newt said...

Oh, yay! I'm glad the procedure is over, and that it went so well. Keep taking it easy a while longer--your body needs to heal!

Kristin (kekis) said...

I know you must be relieved to have your surgery behind you! Sounds like you have a good doc. I remember when they were wheeling me into the OR for my surgery that I told the doctor "Be careful in there." He thought I meant to be careful walking in to the OR. I kindly reminded him, "No, in there - inside of me." Then he had them dope me up so I'd be quiet. :)

Here's to your Womb OF Improvement! Get to feeling better soon.

Mel said...

So happy to hear that everything went so well for you on Friday! Enjoy the newfound optimism…you deserved some affirmation after all the waiting you’ve had to endure. :)

Take care and keep us updated on the healing progress, ok?