Wednesday, June 4, 2008

All I ever do is wait

The day after I made my last post, Fertility Friend decided that I ovulated on CD23, so at least I'm in the latter part of my cycle now. So AF is due around Monday, which puts the CD6-12 window for the saline ultrasound... (drum roll)... simultaneous with my trip to Galena, IL! Hooray! (NOT.) But, I know I'll be able to work around it. At the very least, I can beg them to let me do it the next week, since I ovulate so freaking late. On the other hand, I want this done ASAP. I guess I'll just see when dear auntie rears her ugly head.

In other news, I recently read about someone (whose screen name will go unmentioned) who just had an MRI to diagnose an MA. She is, get this, hoping for bicornuate because, GET THIS, she doesn't want surgery! I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this. For a recap:

Septum:
  • up to 90% miscarriage rate
  • easily treated with simple, non-invasive surgery and short recovery time
  • normal post-op miscarriage rate with no other increased pregnancy risks
Bicornuate:
  • miscarriage rate 40-60%
  • only surgery to treat is horribly invasive and not usually ordered (and when it is, you sit and cross your fingers, hoping scar tissue won't make you infertile)
  • heightened risks of preterm labor, intrauterine growth restriction, cervical incompetence, and breech presentation, necessitating c-section

Everyone has a right to want what they want out of their own bodies. But as for me and my uterus, I pray for septum.

7 comments:

Sprgtime said...

Wow, that surprises me as well!
I remember waiting on pins and needles when I got my MRI, and I was also hoping for a septum. My Reproductive Endocrinologist was nearly convinced I had a septum (because of my repeated 1st trimester miscarriages) and had already booked me for the surgery but we were waiting for the MRI results just to confirm.
Turns out, I have a bicornuate uterus. :( I was more than a little upset at the news.
I'm Sprgtime on ff, btw. Hope you get the results you want!

jessica @pianomomsicle said...

That's totally weird. i'm crossing my fingers for ya, anyway. This won't be much longer, Big. You'll find out and then you will be able to move on with your life. Doesn't that sound good? it'll happen. i promise.

Elisabeth said...

Hello from the owner of a former-septate uterus. I'll keep your ute in my prayers- that it either be perfectly normal or have an easy-to-remove septum (like mine!) in it...

josephine barnacle said...

i wish you all the luck in the world, susan. you deserve a baby- and somehow i have faith your wishes will come true.

Crys said...

Hoping for the best fo you!!

Anonymous said...

Some people are crazy. A septum is a pretty good MA to have, provided it's diagnosed - at least it can be fixed! The risks of IC seem to remain though.

Anonymous said...

hey susan! just found your blog and wanted you to know there was yet another gal out there going through the same stuff. After a missed miscarriage, a D&C, I had my septum resected not once-- but twice. After much waiting (and waiting and waiting) I have just conceived again. It’s exciting and scary, hopefully it all goes well this time... I just wanted you to know there is hope, and you will get your good news when you least expect it. good luck, I’ll be thinking of you. if you need to talk... budd_58@hotmail.com :)