Saturday, August 15, 2009

It's a...

...baby! Yes, we found out the sex today in our big ultrasound. But before I tell you what that is, I have to pause to reflect on my excitement that Wrigley's gender was the most significant thing we found out today. The tech obviously couldn't tell us if everything was completely fine and that there were no concerns, but in my semi-educated but completely amateur opinion, everything looked great.

Okay, I don't want to be pronoun-neutral any more, so here it is: it's a girl! Little Lily Anne was calm for a while and halfway through started jumping around like crazy. It was so cute! She lived up to her now-defunct nickname as a little wriggler.

A few items of note:

1. I have an anterior placenta, which means the placenta is laying across the front part of my uterus. I have felt not much more than flutters in the past few weeks, and it turns out it's pretty amazing that I have felt anything at all. Now I have permission not to worry if I don't feel big kicks for a while! I hope for Erich's sake that it's not terribly long; we're both looking forward to feeling it from the outside.

2. Lily measured 19w2. I had a feeling all along that she'd measure big. My official due date puts me at 18w3d, but that was from a transabdominal ultrasound at 7 weeks. I theorized at the time that because it's hard to get a clear picture so early that Wrigley might have actually been a little bigger. I'm 18w5d according to when I ovulated, so 19w2d is only four days ahead of that. But the big question is: will my doctor change my due date?

On the one hand, having an EDD of January 13 and delivering early would be quite nice. But having an EDD of January 7 and going a week late would be rather agonizing. I suppose I'd rather stay 18 weeks pregnant now than deliver past 41 weeks. I'm sure Lily will have her own plans, regardless.

3. Lily's overall measurement was 19w2d, and I'm not sure how they calculate that. Her estimated weight right now is 10 ounces. As the tech measured each body part, Erich saw different gestational ages pop up, and he noted that her head measures 19w4d. Not shocking at all, as Erich and especially I have proportionately large heads. But I'm hoping I also have a proportionately wide pelvis internally, you know what I'm sayin'?

Okee dokee, next up: ultrasound pictures!

2 comments:

Kacey said...

congratulations!!!

who said life is fair said...

yay! girls rule.

so glad everything is going so well.

i hear jan. 10th is a great birthday. ;-)