Friday, May 16, 2008

My Crazy Uterus!

My uterus is strange. My uterus is a mystery, a shape-changing enigma just waiting to be figured out by the medical professional who endeavors to study it.

I got a call back from Dr. M today. There's good news and weird news. (No bad news!) I'm liking lists lately, so here's the good news:
  • He's already looked at my HSG and U/S, only three days after our appointment, two days after I dropped them off.
  • Based on the U/S, he thinks it looks pretty clearly like a uterine septum with maybe (MAYBE) a little bicornuate-ish (his words) split on the outside.

Weird news:
  • Paraphrase from voicemail: if both CDs didn't have my name on them, he would have thought they came from two different patients.
  • Based on the HSG, he would not have called my uterus abnormal: not bicornuate, not unicornuate, no septum. He would have called it a normal uterus with a fallopian tube blockage.
  • "Looking at the ultrasound, there is nothing that looks at all like the HSG."

He mentioned the possibility that films got mixed up. If I hadn't witnessed both tests myself and already known how different they were, I'd agree with that as a possibility. I still vote for disregarding the HSG, but I know all things should be taken into account for now. And that's why Dr. M will perform a saline u/s, which I will schedule when AF comes to town again, in about three weeks.

So for the timeline update, it looks like I'll have a saline u/s around mid-June, and I'll most likely have a septum resection, probably in July. That would mean being able to try again by August! That would help keep with my goal of being able to try again before the EDD of my first pregnancy.

Even though this is going to be a long month before the next test, and even though I wish things could be moved along a little faster, I'm in a good mood right now. It won't be long before my "Womb for Improvement" is cleared for renovations! Then I can hang an imaginary "room for rent" sign on my cervix.

(That was a little crass. I don't apologize.)

:)

3 comments:

Newt said...

Wow, your uterus really is a mystery! Your doc sounds great, though. I hope you get some answers!

Kristin (kekis) said...

I'd rather read a mystery than be one! I hope next month brings you some answers & normalcy.

Amy said...

I hope answers come quickly, and I like that you were a little crass...thank you for NOT apologizing! :-)