Friday, December 5, 2008

I Had a Dream!

Okay, I dream pretty much nonstop when pregnant--vivid dreams that I remember upon waking. But something I never dreamed about with my last pregnancy was either being pregnant or having a baby. I didn't find that significant before the loss, though I was anxious to finally have a baby dream, but afterward it made me think. Maybe my subconscious knew it wasn't meant to be, and that's why I never had a baby or pregnancy dream? Or maybe it meant nothing.

Of all my crazy vivid dreams this time, there have been three of note:

1. About a week before my BFP, I had a dream of five positive pregnancy tests lined up on the bathroom counter. They were VERY positive and one of them was actually saturated with pink dye. In fact, it was a picture similar to this real one:

I like to think that the middle one where I smudged my sharpie was the saturated-dye test of the dream.

2. The weekend after Thanksgiving, I had a dream that I was spotting at 6 weeks. I kept checking with my finger and coming back with a little spot of thin red blood. Just so you know, that's not realistic at all. In my dream, it was my knowledge that 6 weeks pregnant+blood=bad that made me freak out, but the emotion of the dream was not actually scary at all. I knew I was dreaming, and this was just a manifestation of an incident the day before involving a chapped but mostly healed cold sore that split a little bit and left tiny drops of blood on my fingertip.

3. This very afternoon, I had a dream that I was caring for a little infant boy--MY newborn baby. Now, I'm pretty sure this dream was due to the fact that I fell asleep in the living room while watching Bringing Home Baby on TLC, but I still enjoyed the dream. I was about to start breastfeeding the baby, and my dad handed me a pink afghan that I had made (but not specifically for myself) so that I could cover myself up. Throughout the dream I either held the baby or sat him in a carseat, and he was smiling the whole time. Sometime he let out a really relieved and satisfied sigh as only a dreambaby newborn can.

I wouldn't call that last dream particularly realistic, and therefore it can't have been prophetic, but I'm still taking it as a good sign nonetheless. And I'm almost seven weeks pregnant! Halfway through the first trimester, 12 days until my first appointment (and then the real worrying begins, but we won't ponder that right now).

No comments: